Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
|May 14, 2012||Posted by under Food Recipes|
Guess what? I finally got my local asparagus on the weekend! Woohoo! Better late than never right? Sadly, I paid $4.50 for a bunch but thankfully, they are large and scrumptious. I’m hoping they will come down in price at the farmer’s market but if not, I don’t care. I love asparagus and I will eat as much of is as I can while I can get it local.
Here is a soup I plan to make this week. The recipe comes from Food.com.
Since there are only two of us, I will make half of the soup and keep the other half of my asparagus for other dishes. mmmmmmmm . I kept the original recipe below but will be making some changes to it. (see my comments in bold-italics)
Here we go!
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
About This Recipe
“A creamy, yet low-fat soup. I have substituted all kinds of vegetables for the asparagus when making this – including broccoli, cauliflower and potato.”
- 1 bunch asparagus (frozen works too but I am using fresh local stuff!)
- 1 large onions, sliced in large slices
- 1 -5 clove garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth (Will be using homemade from veggie scraps)
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour (Will use Spelt to make it wheat-free)
- 2 1/2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari (I might use Braggs instead)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (will be using fresh herbs from my basil plant)
- salt and pepper
- Chop the asparagus (if using frozen, steam or microwave it a little first), reserving the tips.
- Put the asparagus, onion, garlic and broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Put contents of saucepan into blender.
- Add the flour, soy milk, soy sauce and basil.
- Process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and add the asparagus tips.
- Cook over medium heat until the soup thickens and is heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper and serve.